New Volunteer Lodge Hours starting April 1st.
Lodge Meeting Nights & Wednesday nights 5-10 PM.
We will add more nights as we get more volunteers
Wednesday is Burger and Queen of Hearts
Come celebrate Flag Day and the 200th anniversary of our National Anthem with the San Antonio Elks. The day starts out with a series of chip-timed runs (5K, 10K, Half-Marathon, Marathon) followed by a festival celebrating the American Flag and the Star Spangled Banner.
June 14, 2014 from 6:00 AM to Midnight
For more information visit the registration page
From the Exalted Ruler
IT WAS A VERY GOOD YEAR & THIS YEAR WILL BE EVEN MORE FUN
In the last 6 months, we have made some great steps forward in creating a new spirit and energy among our active members, and we look forward to building on our successes. Let me outline a few highlights we accomplished together:
- We increased our membership by 20+ and that includes many young people who are taking active roles in leadership positions and are actively participating in our charitable activities.
- Our overall volunteer participation has been great and this has been augmented by volunteers from UTSA, Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Sheriff’s Office, and from other volunteer organizations
- We increased our per capita donations to the Elks National Foundation (ENF) by 300 %.
- We received thousands of dollars in private donations
- We received $6,000 in grants from ENF
- We received a $2,000 grant from San Antonio to help fund the Hoop Shoot
- We received thousands of dollars in grants from Local businesses
- We hosted several very profitable events
- We increased rental activity by 300 %.
- We improved the team spirit by more use of our new logo on shirts, hats, aprons, banners, signs and letterhead
- We redesigned our web pages and started a facebook page to improve our use of social media.
- Sharon is constantly improving the appearance of the front entrance with new decorations, flowers and plantings each season
- We raised public awareness through the media:
- got several articles into the local paper regarding our scholarship program, hoop shoot, soccer shoot, Chuck Wagon Cookoff, Cowboy Pitchfork Fondue, Texas Elks Children’s Camp, and our newest event Bluebonnets and Easter Eggs- an Easter Egg Hunt for special needs children.
- At our Hoop Shoot, we had participation from Councilman Ron Nirenberg, the Coyote Mascot from the Spurs, and NBA superstar Sean Elliott held a free-throw clinic. All of this was covered by the local CBS affiliate KENS5 with coverage on the 6PM news.
- Our Chuck Wagon Cookoff and Cowboy Pitchfork Fondue event attracted the attention of FOX news, channel 29. They came to the lodge for several hours to film the elementary school kids at the Chuck Wagon Cookoff and came back later in the evening to do a live remote on the 9PM news of the Pitchfork Fondue cooking process.
- Both of these videos were picked up by Elks National Organization and were placed on the home page of www.Elks.Org
Not bad for six months- I thank all of you for your efforts to get our lodge heading in a new direction
We have a great year planned for the San Antonio Elks Lodge and plan to have a lot of FUN! These are my goals for the new year and the things we will do to accomplish them. So the next time a neighbor or a Stanger asks you what the Elks do, just tell them we do a lot, Like:
GOALS for 2014-2015:
- Add 50 new members
- Meet our budget targets
- Increase our per capita ENF donations to $20
- Increase public awareness of the lodge with our community
- Add one new charitable activity to all we do today:
- Semimonthly visits to the Audie Murphy VA Hospital to entertain the patients
- Free Thanksgiving and Christmas Dinners for VA patients
- Host frequent free meals at the lodge for Veterans
- Provide access to over $4 million in college, vocational, Elks, and Eagle Scout Scholarships
- Food baskets to Family members of deployed military spouses
- Provide unique education opportunities to elementary school kids through our Chuck Wagon Cookoff and other community outreach activities,
- Support a Boy Scout and a Cub Scout Troop
- Host a Free Throw Shooting Contest (Hoop Shoot)
- Support a free summer camp for 350 Children with Special Needs
TOGETHER, WE WILL ACHIEVE THESE GOALS:
- We will get new members and increase public awareness by spreading the word about the great things the Elks continue to do.
- Have more activities targeting our primary missions of helping kids and veterans
- Reach out to some inner city neighborhoods to participate in our events
- Use a new ENF Freedom Grant for a new project to help Vets.
- Add a new event we call Bluebonnets and Easter Eggs- an Easter Egg hunt for Children with Special Needs.
- We should talk to our friends and neighbors and encouraging them to participate in our activities. Once they see what we do, a few will want to join us.
- We will Redouble our efforts to send out press releases and seek opportunities to be in the news
- We will improve our financial position by:
- Actively managing our investments using low risk mutual funds
- Relying more on volunteers for bartending duties, rental management, custodial duties, and maintenance
- Bar hours will be adjusted to the availability of our volunteers. Right now, Wednesday will be the only guaranteed night we will be open from 5-10PM. Closing time will depend on the number of customers. Burgers will be served from 5-7 and the Queen of Hearts Raffle will be at 8PM.
- If you have an interest in volunteering during the week or during one of our rentals, please let me know. We would like to be open more nights, but we need ideas for attracting customers.
- Actively marketing the lodge for Rental and catering activities through the use of social media, and targeted local media.
- Outsourcing our kitchen- let me know if you know a company interested in doing this.
- FUNdraising events:
- Chuck Wagon Cookoff and Cowboy Pitchfork Fondue Cookout and Dance
- Hold 9 chili cookoffs
- Add a Flag Day 5K Run on June 14th
- Halloween Party
- New Year’s Eve Party
- Add a new Golf Tournament in Nov. $300 per foursome with great food, drink, and prizes
Fasten your seatbelts; this year is going to a FUN year with lots to do. I need your help, so keep those ideas coming and chip in when you can. We would also appreciate extra financial donations for contingency repairs. Major unplanned expenses are the only thing I see that can impact our ability to make our financial targets. Our kitchen equipment is very old and in serious need of an upgrade, so we need a contingency fund. So if you have the funds, please donate something. It is tax deductible.
Remember that it’s all about having FUN and helping the vets and kids.
If you have not already done so, please send in your dues for upcoming fiscal year and update you personal information. There is a survey form on the back, so please take a moment to let me know what you are thinking.
If you are retired and have some extra time, please consider volunteering at the lodge as the Lodge Manager, Club Manager, House Committee, or as a bartender. Without volunteer assistance we may have reduce the hours of the bar and curtain meals. We have sufficient volunteers to cook, but not enough to manage the food and beverage operations. Contact me if you are interested. 210.372.0469
I ask each of you do reach out to a friend or neighbor and invite them to the lodge for a meal or a special event. There is a lot going on at the lodge and we can all have more fun if we have more members/guests participating. They do not need to be Elks to come to the lodge as your guest.
RED PIGS: The lodge has a red pig fund that benefits the Texas Children’s Camp in Ottine. The idea is that you put your loose change into the pigs and when the pig is full, bring the coins to the lodge and we will deposit them in a special reserve account that will be given to the Camp.
All members are encouraged to get one of these pigs the next time you are at the lodge. If you know a gas station or convenience store near your house that could use one, please take them one.
Thank you for all you do,
San Antonio Elks Lodge
Call 210.372.0469 or 210.399.8417 and leave a message for information on RV parking, lodge rentals